Sunday, July 28, 2013

MSCNE13

I have all these T-shirts with MSCNE on 'em, followed by a year, and now it's time for a new shirt because MSCNE13 is upon us.

Huh?

It's a mouthful of a name -- Management Seminar for College Newspaper Editors.  Some 60 or so college editors from 28 states arrive today (Sunday) for a week of bonding and frivolity and training and workshops and more frivolity and a desperate need to figure out what the hell they're gonna do when they go back home and find themselves in charge of their college newspapers.

To all of you, welcome and best of luck.

I teach some years but not this one (I'm having vocal cord issues, tied to thyroid issues, tied to cancer issues ... a long and very boring story that involves an ugly scar across my neck that's not the result of some cool dangerous reporting story).  I do hope to sit in on a couple of sessions, including Monday's The State of College Media, the Future of College Media at 1:15 p.m. in MLC, Room 250.  With luck someone is gonna put this session online because it'll be helpful for those who can't make it.  If you're near Athens, I recommend dropping in.

Participants, you'll really enjoy the guest speakers, the hands-on training, and especially the simulated news event later in the week.

It's cool to see someone representing my alma mater, the University of North Alabama, known to many as TUNA, and its paper The Flor-Ala.  I think someone has come before, but I'm not sure.  Some years I've taught MSCNE, some years I've been out of the state or country.

And while I've enjoyed teaching sessions or sitting in on sessions, one thing I don't like is standing in line at the campus Jittery Joe's waiting for coffee.  Important safety tip, visiting editors -- regular customers go to the front of the line.  It's true.  Just as Caleb, the guy who runs the MLC shop.  Hell, he makes my coffee before I order it, I'm such a regular.  

When it comes to coffee, fear me.  Just ask Bentley.



No comments: