Friday, August 23, 2013

I'm Disappointed in The Atlantic

I love The Atlantic, am a loyal reader of the hardcopy magazine and its various net channels -- especially Atlantic Wire. But earlier today they let me down.

Here's the story and the lede:
Why Do Liberals Hate Cory Booker?

Cory Booker is not yet a senator, but many on the left have already made up their minds that the onetime Democratic wunderkind is a sellout.
Now, lemme make it clear that I'm not from New Jersey, don't live there, don't care about Booker one way or the other. I have no dog in this fight, as the saying goes. But that big headline suggests all liberals hate him, or most do, though the lede softens a bit to be "many on the left." The story cites a handful (at best) of sources, media types at Salon, etc.

So let's try some objective information, shall we. Say, perhaps, a poll?

This Monmouth University poll is cited, so let's peek at it. Unfortunately it isn't broken down by ideology -- liberal to conservative -- so we'll make due with party identification. If liberals dislike this guy so much, we should see some interesting Party ID results.

Among self-described Democrats, 92 percent say they'll vote for Booker.

Lemme say this again -- 92 percent.

Huh? If that's dislike, and I'm a politician, sign me the hell up. Even better, he has an 88 percent favorability rating among Dems. I'm disappointed in The Atlantic in the way this is worded, both on Twitter and the headline.


No comments: